Academic Calendar, 2021-2022

Make-Ups Needed?

Make-Ups Needed?

by Fred Isaacs -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Rano --

This is a minor point, but could you clarify the "make'up" question? Version I states that no make-ups will be needed for AY 2021-2022, but then declares that, for the spring term, one make-up class will be needed. 

Thank you,

Fred 

In reply to Fred Isaacs

Re: Make-Ups Needed?

by Rustam Atadjanov -
I agree with the question: shouldn't we conduct 2 make up classes in Fall 2021 for 30 August and 1 December (two public holidays) as well? Version I omits this part, for some reason, while Version II takes it in account.
In reply to Rustam Atadjanov

by Zhanat Syzdykov -
Make-ups were used to be recommended for faculties to have. Every faculty members depending on the progress during the course decides on his/her own.
In reply to Zhanat Syzdykov

by Rustam Atadjanov -
To me, it appears that the language of the Faculty Code of Practice as well as the Academic Catalogue/Calendar 2020-2021 is pretty clear on this point: "27f: The faculty member is expected to arrange suitable make-up class period(s) with students..." + "Make-up required for (date of the specific public holidays indicated including the Constitutional Day and the First President's Day)". It suggests this is more of a requirement rather than a recommendation. But perhaps, I am missing something here and our colleague from the Registrar's Office could clarify better on this particular aspect.
In reply to Rustam Atadjanov

by Frederick E. Emrich -
In practice, make-ups tend to be unmanageable. Between demands on my time and on student time, it is never possible to set a single required time for make-up outside the regular class period without disadvantaging someone, creating a conflict with someone else's makeup, etc. This language remains in the FCP to satisfy accreditors (I believe), but we have no way to enforce it and have occasionally been informed by administrators they do not consider it a rigid requirement. My preference would be to alter the language to suit the practice, as the language is unreasonably rigid and unworkable.
In reply to Fred Isaacs

by Frederick E. Emrich -
Rano has replied via email:
"Thank you for your notes. It is a typo - there are 90 days of classes and no make ups needed in the version I."